Sunday, March 6, 2011

Carnaval: Day 1

Walking down the street has never been a project before.  Walking down the street, a person usually doesn't encounter groups of manly cross dressers...or pregnant nuns...or octopi. A geisha here, a penguin there, fake boobs everywhere.  ¡Bienvenidos a Carnaval!

The cobblestone streets became carpeted with bags, cups, and broken bottles which served as good traction to the slippery wet stone.  It didn't rained, it was just urine and spilled alcohol...everywhere.  One of my biggest fears in life is slipping and busting my teeth on rocks and last night I was put to the test.  Pushing and shoving my way through the crowd I basically ran into everyone I've met here so far: Davide is always everywhere so obviously I saw him numerous times throughout the night, but apart from him I saw that French guy Geoff from the beach when the drunk guy peed his pants, Javi my friend from Ciudad Real, the Spanish people I went out with who go to school in Puerta Santa María, all the API students from Seville, Santa, the Brits, the Americans, some pandas, etc etc.

I am writing this in my pajamas right now, my face still has some face paint and my hair is still flamboyantly red with golden glitter.  It's a little past 1 and I just woke up an hour ago...I didn't get home until 4:30 this morning which is actually early if you can believe it.  I'm a bit achy, a bit smelly, a bit grungy but ready to head out into the madness again tonight.  There are some chirigotas in the Plaza de las flores in an hour and then something going on in la Puerta at around 6...thank God there is no school because waking up at 7 would require not falling asleep.

Until the next blog!








    

No comments:

Post a Comment