Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Carnaval: fed up

I, Kevin Gravier, am completely over and done with Carnaval.  Three days in and I'm calling it quits.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm in my 20s in a city where (according to la Policia Local and several newspapers) 360,000 people traveled to Cádiz Saturday to party into Sunday morning ....but let me just repeat that for you...360,000 people CAME to the city on top of the residents of the city...a city of 5.1 square miles.  A 5 minute walk on a normal day took me over 20 minutes because of all of the people I had to push through and awkwardly rub up against.  This seems complicated enough, but add glass cruzcampo beer bottles, wine bottles, cacique, coca cola (can't be without the mixer), tinto de verano, etc etc

Not to mention when you step out of the house you're wafted with the wonderful scent of day old urine rehydrated by fresh drunk-people urine.  Add the constant sounds of whistles and kazoos and annoying bird callers to the mix and add confetti EVERYWHERE.  Cádiz changed from a quiet sea city to a touristy party hub in days and I'm already sick of it.

There are some positive aspects: there are people singing in the streets, on tractors, and on stages.  The food is pretty good and the nightlife is crazy.  But I've decided to curl back into my old-grandpa self and go to bed early tonight (it's almost 2am already) and actually get some sleep and forget about how dirty this city and my shoes are.

2 comments:

  1. Tú, Kevin Gravier, tienes que ir a la primera iglesia que encuentres hoy, recibir las cenizas, y empezar los cuarenta días de cuaresma sin beber, cantar, disfrazarte, cantar, bailar etc...o sea sin pecar!!! así que a estudiar, relexionar, ir a la aburrida Ciudad Real, a ser modelo de discreción para esos infieles de Erasmus y a prepararte para la semana santa como un buen chico de Rhode Island. Se acabó el carnaval!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JAJAJAJAJA!!! que fuerte! xD

    ReplyDelete