Friday, February 4, 2011

Today I stole a boat

Today was another beautiful sunny and hot day in Cádiz.  After classes I had lunch and then got invited to go to Gibraltar so I went down and bought my ticket...I leave at 7am tomorrow morning!  Talk about a spontaneous trip!  After buying the tickets (25€ round trip), I went down to the beach to lay in the sun.  I stripped down to my bathing suit and after a half an hour ran into the frigid ocean with my friend Teresa.  Me being from cold Rhode Island and her from freezing Alaska, we were able to take the unbearably numbing waves.  We got back on the beach and ran into an Italian friend and some Welsh friends of Teresa talked for a bit, and then dove into the ocean again with Davide (the Italian).

In the distance we saw an old boat floating near the shore.  An old wooden thing with the paint peeling off.  We ran over and pulled it up onto shore: the owner was nowhere to be found.  The welsh girl, Teresa, Kirsten and I decided to take it for a ride so we all huddled in and paddled off with the one paddle left inside.  Davide saw us from the distance and decided to swim out to join us.  The tiny paddle boat was now filled with 5 students, floating away from the beach into the open waters of La Caleta.  After paddling around for a bit we were able to get to shore.  By this time the sun was setting so the Erasmus students left and we went to the overlook to see the sun say it's last goodbye until tomorrow.  Perfect way to start the weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment