Monday, February 28, 2011

pancakes and maple syrup

The morning came and everyone in the house made their way into the kitchen: Noni, Pepe, Patri and her boyfriend.  It was time for them to finally try pancakes.  The Beirdens were nice enough to bring me Bisquick and maple syrup so I knew that this morning was going to be spectacular.  First problem: cups does not translate into grams very easily.  Even though measuring cups measure volume and grams are weight (which is completely different) Noni's measuring cups were in grams.  I quickly converted it to liters though and added the half a liter of Bisquick to the bowl....weird I know. 

After cracking a hard boiled egg into the mix, I started to get worried about how things would end up....

I got a little excited and plopped a whole bunch of the pancake mix into the pan without letting it heat up all the way which turned it into a buttery mess.  Strike number 3.  The next strike came when I realized that half a liter was most likely a terrible conversion on my part since the pancake tasted floury...Things were not going well.

I mixed in some more milk until the batter looked right, re-adjusted the heat, and then started mastering the art of pancake making once again.  I spread some butter on them after taking them out of the pan, let them soak up a little bit of maple syrup, and then spread hazelnut chocolate spread on top with a layer of whipped cream...they were the best pancakes I have ever eaten in my entire life.  My Spanish host family would agree as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment