Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mexican with the Germans

Today was a beautiful day.  It was bright and sunny, somewhat warm, and a perfect day for the beach.  After class two Americans, 3 Germans, an Australian and I all headed to the one Mexican restaurant in Cádiz.  After ordering chicken mole unsuccessfully (there wasn't any left), I tried ordering 3 more meals which also happened to not be available today.  I finally just settled with a burrito.  It also turned out to be the best meal on the table!  Super spicy, with guacamole, jalepeños, and cheese.  We laughed, ate, talked and laughed some more until we went our own ways.  By this time it was 4pm so Matt, Jacqueline and I headed out to the beach.

Right next to the rest of our group were Yeyo and Javi (my house-brothers from Jerez).  We kicked around the soccer ball a bit and then I rolled up my pants, took off my shirt and took in the hot sun for an hour or two.  It was perfect weather.  One person went into the water and swam a bit, a couple others were oak-tree brown completely shaved with speedos that were way too small, and some other people were sitting with their friends on the beach like we were.  I walked around the shore for a bit and found an old Spanish Peseta (coin) freshly washed up by the receding tide.  It is all corroded with more holes than words but it still made my day.

I picked up a few shells and pieces of pottery that washed up, walked back to my towel and decided to paint a little. Some people stopped by to see what I was doing.  I kept on hearing "chulo"  when they'd look at it: a complement I hope haha. The sun began to set and I watched the sky turn from blue to different shades of red and purple: a sign to head home.  

1 comment:

  1. Vaya temperatura que estáis teniendo por ahi! qué suerte. Es bastanto raro que encuentres una antigua peseta, espero que la hyas guardado porque esos son los tesoros que se conservan. La palabra "chulo" sí es un piropo que significa "original, bonito" en esencia "cool".
    ¿también eres pintor? las sorpresas nunca terminan...

    ReplyDelete