Saturday, January 22, 2011

From Madrid to Cádiz

From Toledo Los VIPs took the train back up to Madrid to while the Seville party-bus continued its journey to southern Spain.  It was just the 6 of us and Carmen on RENFE and the peace and quiet was beautiful.  It seemed like we were rid of a giant malignant disease that ate away and started to destroy the image of the American in the eyes of Spaniards. We entered Madrid and before taking the train for the long 5 hour journey to Cádiz, we decided to celebrate with Chocolate con churros which is like melted milk chocolate in a coffee cup and strips of fried dough.  The brochure told us we would be spending around 30€ a day in Madrid, but seeing as how meals were around 2€, I bought new shoes for 19€, ½ gallon of water for 0.25€, etc, I think I might have spent 30€ the whole time I was there.

A long a boring train ride to Cádiz brought me to Noni, Patricia (her daughter), and Javi and Yeyo (two boys from Jerez, Spain who are living with her).  Noni is extremely stylish and very accommodating (I got good vibes from the moment I met her).  I started talking with her and with Patricia and it was beautiful: I spoke very quickly and fluently, 100% was understood and I thought I was in the clear….but Oh! Was I wrong.  When Yeyo spoke, I cringed inside.  This guy, about my age, spoke with such a thick accent that I’m pretty sure he didn’t use a consonant once in his short and very fast sentences: The accent of Jerez.  Even when he spoke slow, painstakingly slow, I couldn’t understand half of what he was telling me…I was no longer in Madrid.

Yeyo, Javi, and Pepe (host father) went to the bar that night for the soccer match between Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid.  Yeyo opened up right away and was teaching me about soccer, the rules, the players, his girlfriend, and just random things.  Although we may be polar opposites, I feel like Yeyo and I are going to get along very well.  It’s obvious that he’s a really nice guy and would go out of his way for anyone.  I’m looking forward to more soccer matches and playing Call of Duty on Playstation 3 when he gets back on Tuesday.  Noni is very warm, laughs a lot, accommodating, and all around nice lady. Oh, and a ridiculously good cook.  Patricia is always smiling and also seems genuinely nice.  Pepe and I have had intense discussions about religion, Spanish politics from the 20th century, and basically everything:  we luckily share the same ideological views.  I am extremely happy with my home-stay! (minus the terrible problems with WiFi)  Because of that problem I may be late on my blogs (like the past couple days), but hopefully I can get the hang of it.  On a final note; Cádiz is absolutely beautiful.  The beaches are sandy, streets are tiny, cobblestone is everywhere along with plenty of shopping.  It is the epitome of Spanish and now I know that I have picked the right program.   

2 comments:

  1. What a relief to hear you made it safe and sound to your new home. More importantly that you like your new family. I can't believe you bought new shoes! As far as Noni being a "ridiculously" good cook, well I really didn't set the bar very high as a cook so anyone would seem great! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. KPDR en Cádiz por fin!!!Te advertí sobre ese acento gaditano/jerezano...pero ¿qué sería de la vida sin desafíos? Aburridísima.
    Adelante! y sigue bitacoreando, se te da muy bien!
    pd. no estás siendo muy simpático con los sevillanos...cuidado!

    ReplyDelete