Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tortilla: the new soul food

The day started at 10:00.  I woke up and was craving some Muesli Cereal so I pulled a box of milk out of the fridge and ate my oats, dried fruit and cereals ready to start my day.  I got inspired to go for a jog (which rarely happens here) so I put on my shorts and shirt as quickly as I could and went on my way before I could change my mind.  I started along the Eastern coast facing the mainland, ran under lanes shaded by palm trees, continued along to coast passing La Caleta (now on the Atlantic facing the United States) and towards the cathedral.  I passed through a few parks with blooming purple flowers and tropical birds chirping the morning in, made my way to the harbor, and finally ended up at my starting point: the Cádiz Island circuit.

Feeling accomplished for the day, I showered up and relaxed a bit before lunch: A good start to my first day of summer.  We ate lentils, meat balls, and some bread and Yeyo and I were able to make it to the beach by 15:30 to tan up since we've been cooped up in the house for the past month because of exams.  The tide was high so Yeyo, Kirsten, Chelsea and my new Texas roomate: Hely decided to do some bridge jumping by the Island fortress: you make recognize it from Pirates of the Caribbean.  I got up on the ledge, looked at the huge drop before the water, jumped and 4 seconds later splashed hard into the water; heart racing and blood flowing.  Everyone else jumped a few more times too and then we went back to our towels to swim in the bath-like water and tan up. (I woke up this morning looking really dark).

Noni wasn't in when we got back to the house so Yeyo and I watched some TV and by 8:30 I decided to make us an early supper before we headed down to the beach.  I peeled, cut, soaked and fried 3 potatoes, scrambled up 5 eggs, made a big tortilla for the both of us and we went on our way.

Kirsten was at the top of the beach all dressed up and ready to go out.  As I was talking to her, Donna (Irish) came over and started talking and pointed us to the crowd of people standing at the edge of the beach.  All the British kids were there talking in little groups and I saw Chelsea, Sara, Jacqueline and her sister in one of the crowds.  I walked over with Yeyo, we said our hello's and we stayed on the beach to watch the sun set.  Next step: Lunar Eclipse.  Unfortunately only Europe, part of Africa and I think part of Asia could see it, but we all crowded on the beach watching the moon get bigger and bigger.

By around midnight we headed to Nahu and did our normal rounds to our favorite dance spots and danced the night away.  I must say Wednesday was the best end-of-school/start-of-summer I have ever had in my life.  Today, I am avoiding the beach and the strong sun and then probably going out again since it is Chelsea and Jacqueline's last day here in Cádiz...It's all ending so soon and I just hope I don't get too sentimental...We've been through a lot of stuff together: protests and uprisings in Marrakesh, long hikes and random goat herds in the middle of the Spanish countryside, scary trolls in Madrid, Lady Gaga entourage during Carnaval...We stole boats together, jumped off bridges together, suffered through horrible classes together, and became good friends and some even best friends.  Chelsea and Jacqueline leaving represents an end to the best time of my life...an end that seemed to not exist.

BUT! I still have 8 more days here and I'm going to make the best of them.  I really have no free time from tomorrow until the end of my trip...Why? you ask?? Well, just when I thought my traveling days were over, it turns out I'm going to be camping in a bungalow on a tiny Portuguese Island: No roads, no cars, no shops, no nothing; only me, 4 friends, some marshmallows, music, beach food, and a guitar....TOMORROW!!



No comments:

Post a Comment